Splash Frizzle Hen x White Silkie Roo

LovemyBabies

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
Marysville,Washington
I have a Splash Frizzle that I want to hatch a egg from and it looks to be fertile. There are 2 Roosters in the bunch and was a little curious on how the chick could turn out.

She's in with a White Silkie & Black Silkie - I read up on the Blue/Splash gene -- I know that with the Black & Spalsh it's Blues. What happens when its a White & Splash? would the baby still carry the Splash/Blue Gene at least? how bout the Silkie gene in there as well -- I do know it's 50/50 for a frizzle.

How does the Blue/Splash work with other color genes as well -- example a Red, Buff.. etc... this Blue Gene has got me curious.

Thank You =)

the chicks wont have silkie feathers unless they get a copy of the silkie gene from each parent. On color, it matters if your white is a dominate or recessive white

I have a Splash Frizzle that I want to hatch a egg from and it looks to be fertile. There are 2 Roosters in the bunch and was a little curious on how the chick could turn out.

She's in with a White Silkie & Black Silkie - I read up on the Blue/Splash gene -- I know that with the Black & Spalsh it's Blues. What happens when its a White & Splash? would the baby still carry the Splash/Blue Gene at least? how bout the Silkie gene in there as well -- I do know it's 50/50 for a frizzle.

How does the Blue/Splash work with other color genes as well -- example a Red, Buff.. etc... this Blue Gene has got me curious.

Thank You =)
The blue gene only dilutes black and not red. The following are generalizations and not specific. I do not know the exact genetics of the splash or white bird.

red x splash = a generally blue chicken normally/ depends on the genetics of the two birds
buff x splash = male and female buff on head-neck and onto the back with blue in tail- male could have white on head/hackles/breast/back white and black mixed with blue in tail
white x splash = most likely blue but could be white depends on genes in the white- there are also other possibilities

Tim

Last edited:
the chicks wont have silkie feathers unless they get a copy of the silkie gene from each parent. On color, it matters if your white is a dominate or recessive white

What would make it Dominate vs Recessive? All the birds came from a Hatchery, so none are mixed. Is the Dominate meaning White+White, if so then yes they're Dominate.

Other question I'm not big into inbreeding - Is there a point tho, where u can get away with it say generations later? How many to be safe, if at all -- Just curious on this one - In case accidentally get a mixed egg for later on.

Thank You all for the info by the way =)

All our birds aren't mixed, only the Eggs we're hatching are. - We had 16 hatch already from our Bigger Bird set & some have so far turned out very beautiful birds. -- Salmon Favorelle Roo & Red Cochin Banty Roo + Americauna, Delaware, Partridge Giant Cochin,possible Buff Giant Cochin, Orpington ----- Rhode Island Red Roo & Red Cochin Banty Roo + Black Giant Jersey, Mahogany Russian Orloff, ---Tho the Americauna, Partrige Giant Cochin + Favorelle have been the prettiest. They are almost 5 weeks old already =) We've been trying to place "which" daddy the chicks have, so not to put back in with that set, but the opposite set.

The Banty Bunch we're going for has Black & White Silkie Roos --Hens: Silver Duckwing, White D'Uccle, White, Black & Spalsh Frizzle, then a white & 2 Black Silkie hens. I'm the Frizzles,Duckwing & my mothers the Silkies & D'Uccle.... Its been exciting to see how the colors pop out so far & it's a shame we have to give them all away. Tho we are picking a couple out of each to keep, since they're our first pretty successful breeding experience ---

We did how ever wind up with a Smaller "banty" sized chick out of the eggs. Now my question here is, --- Each bigger bird bunch has a Banty Roo in there. Even tho the mommas are Full Sized, could the "Banty" size appear occasionally with a chick, no matter how big the Hen is. The little one is eating, drinking & developing just fine - she's just small like the banty babies.

Ok Im done, sorry so many questions kind of popped up in there, one thing led me to think of another -- hahahah Thank you all again

Last edited:
What would make it Dominate vs Recessive? All the birds came from a Hatchery, so none are mixed. Is the Dominate meaning White+White, if so then yes they're Dominate.

Other question I'm not big into inbreeding - Is there a point tho, where u can get away with it say generations later? How many to be safe, if at all -- Just curious on this one - In case accidentally get a mixed egg for later on.

Thank You all for the info by the way =)

All our birds aren't mixed, only the Eggs we're hatching are. - We had 16 hatch already from our Bigger Bird set & some have so far turned out very beautiful birds. -- Salmon Favorelle Roo & Red Cochin Banty Roo + Americauna, Delaware, Partridge Giant Cochin,possible Buff Giant Cochin, Orpington ----- Rhode Island Red Roo & Red Cochin Banty Roo + Black Giant Jersey, Mahogany Russian Orloff, ---Tho the Americauna, Partrige Giant Cochin + Favorelle have been the prettiest. They are almost 5 weeks old already =) We've been trying to place "which" daddy the chicks have, so not to put back in with that set, but the opposite set.

The Banty Bunch we're going for has Black & White Silkie Roos --Hens: Silver Duckwing, White D'Uccle, White, Black & Spalsh Frizzle, then a white & 2 Black Silkie hens. I'm the Frizzles,Duckwing & my mothers the Silkies & D'Uccle.... Its been exciting to see how the colors pop out so far & it's a shame we have to give them all away. Tho we are picking a couple out of each to keep, since they're our first pretty successful breeding experience ---

We did how ever wind up with a Smaller "banty" sized chick out of the eggs. Now my question here is, --- Each bigger bird bunch has a Banty Roo in there. Even tho the mommas are Full Sized, could the "Banty" size appear occasionally with a chick, no matter how big the Hen is. The little one is eating, drinking & developing just fine - she's just small like the banty babies.

Ok Im done, sorry so many questions kind of popped up in there, one thing led me to think of another -- hahahah Thank you all again
Dominant white can make a black bird white even if the bird only carries one dominant white gene. Dominant white only dilutes black color to white. Dominant white only dilutes black; it does not dilute red to white.

Recessive white will cause any color to become white but the bird must have two recessive white genes. One recessive white gene can not make a birds adult plumage to be white. of genes that can cause dwar

There are a number of genes that can cause dwarfism (banty). My experience with banty out crosses is that the offspring are usually an in between size; not as big as a large fowl and not as small as a banty.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom