Splash Guard?

matttebs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 8, 2013
New York
Hi everyone!

So I've finally got my ducklings in! It's been about 5 days now and they are SO BIG. It's ridiculous almost haha. I have 4 of them (will post pictures soon) and I'm finding the biggest problem, right now, the cleaning of the brooder

My current set up is doggy-pads as a underlayer with wood chips on top. In the beginning this worked fine as I was able to roll the pads like a carpet and just throw out everything. NOW, however, it's been leaking a lot of water which I imagine is a mix of duck urine and water from the waterer?

In an earlier thread I had done, someone mentioned getting a splash guard and admittedly I didn't really heed their warning...till now, live and learn I suppose

So with that, does anyone have any creative ways to go about creating this? The brooder literally gets soaked within two hours

They also go through a dish of water like it's nobody's business

Thank you everyone!

I used a big rectangle Rubbermaid tray it was about 2in deep and it would hold 1gal and 1qt waterers nicely it caught their water splash except a tiny amount from going back and fourth from feed to water. Added benefit was it caught all wasted water so I did not have to worry overnite about them running out and it was easy for me to transport to the sink. Enjoy your babies they grow up FAST!

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the advice!

I've looked into the rubbermaid and wire cloth but couldn't really find anything that seemed to fit

Today I've created a temporary solution that I'm hoping can last for some time, I've taken a shoe box, wrapped it in plastic and set the water bowl inside there, since the ducks are really tall now they have no trouble reaching in and getting the water (I've of course cut it some)

I have been thinking about cutting it lower so it's its own platform that they can step in and out off to get water, idk about this yet

I have the box wrapped in plastic wrap so it does not get ruined by the water

Been lazy with pictures but should get them soon! (They're all on my phone haha)

Any more ideas are welcome!

Back
Top Bottom