Splash Maran?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alishye, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Alishye

Alishye Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2013
    This bird is from a mix of Maran eggs I hatched last year. Could someone tell me if it is a Splash Maran? Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He looks to be a Splash Copper, but his hackle and saddle feathers shouldn't be so diluted. The BBS gene doesn't affect red/gold coloring. He's not purebred, that's for sure. Something else got crossed in, to produce such coloring.

3. Alishye

Dec 12, 2013
    Thank you for your help. I've bred him to my black copper Maran (she lays very dark eggs) and I was curious what the chicks would look like and if the eggs they lay will be dark too. Since he's a mix of something else, I guess that means the next generation won't lay eggs as dark as their Mom. That's disappointing, but I still think he's a beauty and I can't wait to see what his chicks will look like!

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You should get mostly Blue Copper looking chicks. How pale the 'copper' will be is unknown. The shade of brown is difficult to even guess at. There are so many different genes that affect the brown 'coating'.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't necessarily think he's mixed, he's just not SOP colored/bred. More like a pet quality vs show quality. Splash x black should give you all blue babies. How dark was the egg he hatched from? I'm thinking your offspring pullets should lay a mix between that and their momma's egg color.

6. Alishye

Dec 12, 2013

All the eggs I got from them were dark. The were supposed to be blues, black copper and splashes. Some didn't develop and some didn't hatch. These are the eggs they hatched from:
    [​IMG]

I ended up with three chicks. A black copper that lays dark eggs, a blue that lays olive eggs and a splash cockerel. In this picture, the olive eggs circled are from my blue and the dark brown ones are from my black copper:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree

8. Alishye

Dec 12, 2013
    Thank y'all so much for your help. Pet quality is totally ok with me! Really excited too see the babies we get from my handsome boy.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Does your olive egger have a pea comb? Just curious...

Those are decently dark. I'm thinking you should have nice dark egger pullets from that cross.

10. Alishye

Dec 12, 2013

Sounds great! Thank you! I went take some pictures of my hen that I thought was a Blue Maran. She has a small comb. Does that mean she's not a Blue?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by