1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splash maran

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by edgechickens, Aug 21, 2014.

1. edgechickens

edgechickens New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Larger bird than both brothers but comb and waddles are smaller Also slow growing feathers and so far no tail. I thought rooster but wanted to see what others thought. This bird is big and awkward! Lol

[​IMG]

Picture of the brother - blue maran

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards it being a cockerel, mostly due to the slow feathering and "thick" cockerel appearance. I could be wrong, though.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, the bird also loooks like a cockerel. In my experience, cockerels feather in slower and often look gangly and gawky for a while, just like your bird.

1 person likes this.
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'm leaning toward cockerel, too.

Here's my Black Marans cockerel. His sister is behind him.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. edgechickens

edgechickens New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Splashes sister is the back maran in front of him in one picture and his brother is the Blue Maran rooster in the other picture. He is very SLOW growing...........poor guy! But he won me over with his clumsy awkwardness, not his fault his legs are massive and covered in thick feathers, so he will be the Rooster I keep : ) And he makes the cutest noises - he sounds like a dove purring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by