1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splash or blue and Red or Buff???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Egg_newton, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I havent had this much trouble knowing my colors since I was four! I have a splash??? roo, buff/red??? hens and white hen what colors of babies could I get?

Is this splash?[​IMG]

Is this buff or red? Is it even a girl? Can you tell? It is about 7 months old[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Splash, Buff, White and mixed-up mutts. Splash and Buff should not be bred together. [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Breeding white to anything non-white is completely unpredictable, and with each white bird the results would be unique.

If you breed the splash and buff together you will end up with some blues, some buffs and some mixed-colour birds. With the buffs, any black in the plumage will be diluted to blue. Some very nice blue & buff birds have this breeding in their background.

4. Egg_newton

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I was just curious. The roo was given to me and I got the hens as setters. I hadn't really planned on intentionally breeding them. Thank you for your input.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  5. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Cool I am gunna try it and see what I get..I have a splash roo and a buff together she has been laying eggs but I thought I better not..But why not!! [​IMG] Thanks for asking I would never of hatched them but I wanna see what I get.. [​IMG]
    This is my roo Bobbi Porto line
    [​IMG]

6. Egg_newton

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Heck after looking at some pics my roo may not be splash at all. [​IMG]
    I think I will take his picture and let the experts tell me what color he is.

7. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

9. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Ok I put them in the bator should be a great experiment... Put them in with my new eggs I got yesterday from Kate Morreale..Should be for an exciting hatch.. [​IMG]

10. Egg_newton

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    what colors are these silkies please?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by