Splash Orp-Boy or girl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jminnie0922, Jun 2, 2008.

1. jminnie0922

jminnie0922 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    This little one has me confused. At 4 weeks I was sure that it was a boy, but since then his comb has not gotten much bigger. It's really about the same size now at 7 weeks as it was then.

What do you think? Boy or girl?

[​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't know the Orp that well..... comb looks large... but also very yellow yet. I dunno... I'm sure one of our Orp experts will have an idea [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Very adorable can you post a full body pic and make sure you get the neck and tail in it?

4. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I've had a few Orps trick me. Do you have a better shot of its face comb/wattles and a pic of its body like tiki says.

5. jminnie0922

Mar 27, 2007
    Thanks, I'll try and get more pics this evening.

I looked for wattles last night and they're barely there but they were pretty pink/red compared to the ones that I know are pullets.

Jeanne

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have an 8 week old Buff Orp that is not even close to that.

7. jminnie0922

Mar 27, 2007
    Here's a full body picture from today at 7 1/2 weeks.

[​IMG]

This one shows the 2 blues that I'm pretty sure are girls along with there hatchmates. You don't see any other roos in there do you?

[​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That looks like a pullet at this stage, however, BamaChicken had a cockerel that kept her guessing for FIVE months, LOL! I once sold a cockerel that turned out to be a pullet myself. Sometimes, they just like to play with your head. [​IMG]

9. jminnie0922

Mar 27, 2007
    I hope your right. But I'm afraid the odds are against it. I had 6 blue orp eggs in the incubator and got 3 to hatch. So the chances of all 3 being pullets is pretty slim. I'll hold on to him for a little longer just to make sure though.

Thanks,
    Jeanne

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Do you see any wattles developing? It looks like a little girl to me too, but depending on the fast/slow development, they can play tricks on you.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by