Splash Orp COCKEREL, again!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Sep 4, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've hatched splash Orpington chicks from my own birds AND three other sources and every single one of them has been a cockerel. Every blasted one. This one had me fooled and other people as well, so it wasn't just me. This boy feathered out quickly, with a very long tail and female body shape, however, from the get-go, I noticed thick legs. That alone isn't always an indicator since the Orp girls are fairly hefty, but still....here he is, eight weeks old, naughty thing changing sexes on me, LOL. Sooo, anyone want a splash Orpington cockerel?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Not again! I think you need to talk to those eggs when you set them! [​IMG]

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Sorry you got another roo! He is very pretty though [​IMG]

Krista

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Oh, I would love to have him! [​IMG]
    What color hen do i have to breed him with to get some blue orps?

Can you ship him? [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

5. speckledhen

Rebecca, to get blue Orps from him, you'd have to breed him with a black Orp to get all blues OR a blue Orp to get some splashes and some blues. I dont ship live birds, but I dont live far from the TN/NC border.

EDITED TO ADD: Rebecca, since you live near Milan, I checked Rand McNally. You are about 300+ miles from me, it says.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  6. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Oh shoot! That's too far. Well maybe I can get some eggs from you one day! Someone closer will want him I'm sure. Look at him...he's awesome! [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

7. speckledhen

Well, I just sold the boy, so he did find a home and she's coming to get him Saturday. Tennessee is a very WIDE state, isn't it, LOL? Sure, get some eggs one day and hatch some of these beauties! Wonder what it is about September. Suddenly, I've had five or six requests for hatching eggs. I wont have any new layers till late winter/early spring so I already have more requests than I could possibly fill.

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am glad you found that big pretty guy a home I AM GETTING CHICKS!!!!!!!!!!! blue and black copper marans and more blue, blue wheaten, and wheaten ameraucana in 5 weeks Peachick is doing a custom hatch but I have to wait two weeks for pure marans eggs! I hope the blue ameraucana lay buy then! sorry to mess your post up like this but I figured it was done [​IMG]

Henry

9. speckledhen

That's exciting, Henry!! Congratulations, my friend. And you didnt mess up anything. [​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I hatched 2 splash today. And 2 red. I am hoping and praying I get a red pullet. What will I do with a ton of cockerals from Red??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by