Splash Orpington Roo - Mordecai and his ladies Photo Heavy

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissPrissy, Feb 2, 2009.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    By request. This is my splash roo, Mordecai, and his hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice looking flock:)

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

MissPrissy, I am really liking the combs on Mordecai and Wheeler. They have less points than mine do and the points look larger. (Maybe because mine are in the process of freezing off. [​IMG] ) Great looking rooster you have there!

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mordi's comb has come a long way since he has been a flock roo. It still isn't the comb I like but the hormones certainly made him bloom when the other dominating cockerals were removed a several months back.

Wheeler's comb is as close to perfect as I have seen in the stock I hatched but his is in no way perfection either. 5 points and evenly spaced is perfect. Mosby and Wheeler have the 5 pointed comb.

Splash isn't a recognized standard so we muddle along trying to get a nice looking roo that comforms to orpington type. Mordi has 5 points but the comb to me is ugly.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I am anxiously awaiting the maturity of these chicks I hatched from your eggs. I will get some updated pics of them soon.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I feel honored to have some chicks from that group!

They are lovely MissP! [​IMG]

7. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

MissPrissy, just an Awesome looking flock of orps..id have to agree, i prefer that type of straight comb as the points aren't deep, Ive seen way to many frozen combed rooster in my time that lost there points..The ones with less deep points don't get frost bite so easy and are less prone to infection from frost bite..

Him and his hens will through fantastic combs in there young regardless.. [​IMG]

Charlie

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I only raised up one Splash rooster in all these years of having BBS and he was from someone elses lines and ugly!! LOL

Your fellow is very nice with great color!! I'm putting a pen together of Blue BBS rooster over Splash hens so maybe I'll get a handsome fellow or two.

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Charlie! Your dog has some nice toofes in his mouth. (Inearly blew coffee when I realized what I was seeing!)

The splash roo has come a long way in his looks compared to how he looked when he was the bottom of the cockeral pecking order several months ago. Once he was the only roo in with those girls as they matured his male hormones really kicked in. It was about 2 weeks later I had to do a double take. His comb blossomed and his wattles grew - almost over night. He is looking much better than he did.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Ang - he is very handsome..beautiful flock for sure! [​IMG]

Tuff - I can't wait till your group is together and we get to see chicks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by