Splash Orpington, Roo or Hen?

Cmoulton19

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2018
Hello, please help. I'm worried that my previously assumed hen is going to be a rooster. She is a splash orpington and is Almost 4 months old. She has quite a decent size wattle and comb but she did not have those until she was at least 2 and a 1/2 to 3 months old when the rooster that I know I have who is a Plymouth buff rock bantam was much larger and redder when he was only a few weeks old. She doesn't have much of a tail and she doesn't have any spurs and she super friendly but she crows alot but my Bantam rooster never crows so I'm not sure if that's a behavioral thing or a male or female thing. I'm very new to chickens and would love some help. She hasn't started laying eggs Yet But I'm hoping that's Normal since hes not even quite four months yet. It's only the 2 chickens that I have.

Attachments

• 20180914_081619.jpg
    20180914_081619.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 114
That's TOOOO red AND big for a 16 week old Orpington this time of year IMHO....

But I can't make out saddle feathers completely. Can you make them out? They won't lie once they are actually coming in, except in Seabrights which roosters are hen feathered.

She has quite a decent size wattle and comb but she did not have those until she was at least 2 and a 1/2 to 3 months old when the rooster that I know I have who is a Plymouth buff rock bantam was much larger and redder when he was only a few weeks old.

I'm gonna venture on the side of cockerel here... :hmm

You cannot exactly compare different genetics... Orps are much slower developing than Rocks. And even in the breed I hatch and raise I see such differing ages of maturity. :pop

She doesn't have much of a tail and she doesn't have any spurs and she super friendly but she crows alot
His tail is missing from flock dynamic and spurs develop a bit later.

I also missed the crowing part SOMEHOW!... doubt not, while hens can and do crow... I never had one that young do it.

ALL signs point to cockerel!

Funny to see how many said pullet though! Maybe they missed some of the description like me. :p

Back
Top Bottom