Splash Orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Natalierose, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Natalierose

Natalierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Hey guys,

I just picked up my final (6th) chick for my new flock and she's the only one to come from a breeder and not my local co-op. She is suppose to be a splash Orpington- I'm a little worried with how yellow she is. Does have a little blue on her face/head though...

Your thoughts? Or does any one else have photos of their splash chicks? Also- he didn't seem 100% sure on gender- is there a sure way to tell with Orpingtons?

Thank you![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    She looks like a splash to me. As young chicks you really cannot tell the difference between the gender unless it is sex-linked. You can probably find out around the 3 to 4 week mark especially with single comb breeds.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It looks splash to me as well...splash is typically yellow down with blue/grey smudges as chicks.

As to gender...way to early to tell especially with an Orpington. Orpingtons can be hard to sex with some unclear until they lay or crow.

You'll need to wait until about 6 weeks to post again, and then maybe at 12 weeks.

LofMc

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

5. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    As everyone has said, don't worry. Here's a pick of my Orp chicks back in October. All the yellow ones are splash:

[​IMG]

6. Natalierose

Natalierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Thank you guys!

This makes me feel a lot better. Now, fingers crossed for a pullet [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Splash to me, too. Cute chick!

8. Sweetchicks72

Sweetchicks72 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2015
    Can you show us pictures of what "she" looks like now. I just got a blue and splash (3 weeks old) and I was curious if my splash was really a splash. I'd like to compare yours and mine. Mine has turned very light grey, but I'm very new to chickens so what do I know! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by