Splash Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Felix1, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Felix1

Felix1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    This might seem like a dumb question but why is splash not a recognized color in any of the breeds?

2. Lorilyn Farms

Lorilyn Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    Rogue River, Oregon
    Probably because "splash" is two genes of blue, and doesn't take into account the other genes at present in each bird. Anyone else can chime in.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    In actuality, splash is recognized in a number of breeds: silkies, d'anvers, oegb, rosecomb & wyandotte in bantams; not ure which LF breeds. Quite frankly, since splash is a byproduct of blue breeding, I'm kind of surprised that it isn't recognized in all breeds that recognize blue. All varieties have multiple genes that must be accounted for to obtain correct colouring. If you have the right genes for breeding blue (without other colours making an appearance), you have the correct genes for breeding splash without other colours showing up.

4. Felix1

Felix1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    I wasn't aware that it was recognized in those bantam breeds. I had just noticed not many (if any) LF breeds recognize it and I wondered why.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I feel just the opposite. I've been around long enough that I remember when Splash wasn't a recognized variety in any breed. I was breeding Blue birds 50 years ago & still regard Splash as a by-product not an end product. That said, I do sometimes see some beautiful Splash birds but if it had been up to me they probably wouldn't have been admitted to the Standard. BTW-add Modern Game Bantams to your list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by