splash silkie question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Sep 1, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I FINALLY hatched a splash silkie, problem is the comb color is more of a mulberry color. I think I read somewhere on here that this is not that uncommon. How bad of a trait is this and should I not even bother keeping this chick, it's about 6 weeks old I *think*, so I am not sure of it's gender yet.

Krista

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It would be great if you could post a picture.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yeah, I figured that much, gotta charge the camera. Have had a housefull of sick kids the last couple days so I haven't charged it yet. I am soooo behind on pics. I will try to post tomorrow when most of them go back to school [​IMG]

Krista

4. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Actually mulberry is the description of the ideal comb color on silkies, but it needs to be a deep mulberry almost verging on black. So I guess it depends on what you see as mulberry and what someone else pictures as mulberry. What I think of when I hear the term mulberry is a very deep dark purple.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Mulberry huh?! I was thinking deep purple too. I'm unsure about the trait and what it even means. I just have mine as pets and don't breed.

Yet, I noticed my buff silkie has a walnut comb that is HUGE. Its got a purple tone to it, but I was thinking it meant she was he, though everyone said she was a she and my other who has no visible comb was a he.

Now I'm confused and in desperate need to take photos myself.

I would LOVE to see photos of your splash chick though!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by