Splash Silkie Roo 5 months, Please critique

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wyogirl, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't get a picture of his feet but he has 5 toes and will try to update with picture
    Thanks
    Ayda

2. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Im no expert on Silkies, and no expert on breeding or showing, but I have done my fair share of it through the years. Cochins and Frizzles are my bird of choice. But I will try and give the best advice I can. I do not want to come off harsh or mean, im just giving you mho about the bird. Does not mean its correct or the only opinion about him.

At first glance I notice his comb is to large. I think color is good but size is a little large. Wattles seem a little large also. His cushion could be a bit larger, fuller as well. He also seems a bit long in the back. He should be fairly short through his back, not as long as he appears. His cushion is also incorrect. He has alot of hard feathers in his cushion and its not ad round and full as a nice Silkies should be. Thats about all I can tell from the pics given. Cant see the feet as you mentioned, nor his earlobes. Not the best Silkie I have ever seen, but very far from the worst! Hope this helps.

~Casey

3. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Yes thank you. Have been trying to do research on Silkie standards and ordered the book.
    I figured his comb was too large, but the color is OK?
    What is cushion??? or can you direct me as to where I can find all this info??
    I very much appreciate your critique
    Ayda

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    The comb is a little on the light side and too bumpy. I don't really like it. The cushion are their tail feathers and it should be rounded similar to that of a Cochin. He lacks type also.

5. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:Thanks, he was my first shipped hatched Silkie off of ebay:) born July 3, definitely pet quality huh?
    Well I have 2 Lav Silkie Roos I bought from AHappychick (BYC) they definitley look better than Blue.
    I will take close up pics of them tomorrow
    Again
    Thank you
    Ayda

6. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Quote:Thanks, he was my first shipped hatched Silkie off of ebay:) born July 3, definitely pet quality huh?
    Well I have 2 Lav Silkie Roos I bought from AHappychick (BYC) they definitley look better than Blue.
    I will take close up pics of them tomorrow
    Again
    Thank you
    Ayda

July 3 is my moms birthday. [​IMG]

~Casey

7. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Casey
    Our anniversary is July 4th and much to my husbands dismay, we did NOT GO ANYWHERE, he had to fend for himself as I was being a mom to my new little one. So he is very very dear to me, (my Roo) LOL and of course my DH who puts up with my chicken obsession!!!
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by