Splash to Splash and Blue to Blue (Splash) Picture Reference

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blackclownfish16, Jul 16, 2010.

1. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

So I see people on here all the time asking about how best to breed splash and bbs. Here's my two girls side by side. The darker splash is from a bluexblue and the lighter almost solid color splash is from a splashxsplash. Both are splash and splash birds can any shade in between. Anyway hopefully that helps someone [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Besides lets be honest, we are all chicken exhibitionist at heart haha)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Beautiful chickens!! I have 4 silkies and after tonight will have 10 total. I take it you breed them? I want to once they are old enough. They are all under 2 months at the moment so I have a while to figure it all out. (I have never owned chickens before) Right now I have 2 white, 1 lavender, and 1 buff. Tonight I will be getting blues, blacks, and partridge... I am hoping I have some girls in there. I just dont have any clue what colors to breed together. Are there any I want to stay away from?

3. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    out of the colors you have only the blues and blacks can breed... the others all have to breed with the same color

not sure about lav

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Really? Thanks for the info!! I'll make a post about it, dont wanna hi-jack this thread. Thanks!

5. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    more about your hens..is the lighter one a blue or a splash? i just blues and so excited about it [​IMG] there really pretty

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Both birds are very pretty. Nice to see the difference since Im going to be starting a BBS pen.

7. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Quote:blue black and splash can all breed together to produce more of the same.

8. blackclownfish16

Kasey08 both are splash. The lighter one is from splash x splash mating so her blue/black is more washed out than the blue x blue splash.

Thanks SundownWaterfowl, your buffs are awesome as well!

Askjcm2005 Thanks! And I'll check out your thread.

9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Having just hatched out a clutch of BBS Ameraucanas last month, I have been contemplating which color roosters to keep. It would seem best to not breed
    splash to splash if you like your splashes to be on the darker side. Do you have any photos of a blue to splash breeding?

Thanks so much for posting this--very helpful!

10. blackclownfish16

Kansaseq I'm happy it helped! And yes if you prefer darker splashes it's generally recommended to breed blue to blue or blue to splash. Although there is something to be said for the lighter almost pastel versions of splash.

I'm a fan of them all! Lol give me the pick of 3 BBS birds and I'll take the splash any day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by