Splash?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Dec 19, 2007.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Dumb question, but...
    what is a splash?
    I keep seeing folks on here refer to splash chickens. My google search was not terribly helpful.

thanks,
    CG

2. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    it a mix of a blue and white chicken(i think might be wong though)that is mostly white with blue spots on it. Looks kind of like a dalmation but with blue spots and its a chicken...LOL [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A Splash is pretty much a white chicken with black/blue feathers here and there sprinkled throughout. Here is a site that has some on it.
    http://www.dtbcentre.co.uk/orpington.htm

Here is a splash cockerel I hatched once upon a time, as a youngster then later;
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    when I went to pick up my cochins there was one that owner called splash but it was white with blue and brown almost calico on top like a splash with blu and brown I was so tempted actually still am. They look to be slaph with a calico cape (white blue and brown)

Kasi

I went digging through old emails and found a picture she had sent me not the best picture but you can see what I am talking about thinking about telling my hubbie the second pair is for christmas.

[​IMG] this is the one for sale and

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  5. speckledhen

They vary slightly in the colors of both the base and the splashy feathers. The boy I posted appeared almost a light lavender for awhile.

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    here is my Splash Orp. I love the splashes. Each one is different.
    [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

One thing to note: since splash in Orpingtons is not accepted into the APA standard yet, the legs can be pretty much any color. My first boy had pretty much white legs, but the next batch, from a different breeder, had black/blue legs.

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Splash is a chicken with a double dose of the blue gene. Most of the time they're nearly white with a few flecks of black, but they can be between light blue to whitish. I like the shade of very pale blue with tiny streaks of black all over.

9. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    so cutee

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Wow! They look silver or pewter colored. How pretty!!
    Do people breed for splash or is it just a happy little genetic accident?

Thanks for the pics all. Your chickens are gorgeous!
    CG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by