splat eggs, underneath the roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tygab, Nov 14, 2008.

1. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    in just the past few days we've had some eggs I'll describe as splat eggs. that is, picture chicken perched on roost, with egg splattered below it... we don't actually see the chicken on the roost, of course, just the egg.

they are not getting eaten, just dropped from up high, making a mess, and being wasted.

We still have a few that hadn't started laying, is it possible it's a newer layer who just hasn't figured it out? If so will she get the idea to use a box in the future?

Or, is it that the nest boxes may be full at the desired time, so the chicken lays from the next best alternative? There ARE usually multiple eggs in the nest boxes so, it could be possible.

We have 4 boxes for 12 hens. They really only seem to use 2-3 on any given day. Some prefer to lay underneath them, which we keep an eye out for. Should I add another laying box?

Any suggestions on how to correct or prevent this?

Thanks!

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't have any suggestion but I'll watching for some. I have a hen who just started laying too, I think it's Butterscotch, but she roosts in a tree! I've found 3 little eggs under the tree, one broken, two not, but they landed in leaves that have fallen from the tree. I think she's trying to bomb the rude roos!

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I get those once in a while. I think it is when the hens just start laying, or the nest box they want to use is being used. Luckly mine dont break, so I just wash them off and use them.

4. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Give em some time. Add some more nest boxes in different areas. Add some golf balls, or some fake eggs. SHould help.

5. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    I actually posted about this about a month ago and like you, got lots of helpful suggestions. Isn't this forum great?

Here's what I noticed about the splat egg issue: not only did they seem to come from new layers, but they also appeared to occur in the dark! Knowing that chickens don't see terribly well in the dark, I think that it was too dark for the girls to find their way to the nests, and when you gotta lay...

My only thought to fix that is to put in a light on a timer to provide an extra hour of light in the morning.

-Christian

6. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    One of my older girls (well, she's still not a year old yet. lol just older than my little girls) does this sometimes for a couple of days. I am finding that she does it when her calcium levels are getting low (the other older girls will start having thinner shells, too). Maybe she doesn't feel the pressure of the hard shell needing to be pushed out so she thinks it's a bowel movement? The last time this happened to me, I threw in some oyster shell and in the next day or 2 she stopped. She just started this again 2 days ago so I'm hoping that by tomorrow she'll be regular. If not I will put some pine shavings under the roost to cushen the fall. I'm getting about 2-4 eggs a day and don't want to miss out on any. LOL

I wish I could be of more help.

7. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    Thanks for the comments! We do have golf balls in the nest boxes, and also free choice oyster shell, so shouldn't be either of those issues. Maybe we have a newer layer on our hands.

The lack of light could be doing it (too dark in the AM). If the splat eggs continue, we may try a light... but I wasn't planning to go that route.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by