Splay leg - 4 day old chick

FlippyHippy

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
We got some eggs from a friend after their broody left the nest without all her chicks hatched. We got them into our incubator, but one had been zipping already and had been in open air for hours when they realized mama had left the nest.

He had a rough hatch, we had to wet the membrane, and at the end baby just sat peeping in the zipped egg but didn't push out. We gently helped him out and he seemed fine. After a few hours it was obvious both legs were splayed.

We did makeshift bandaid hobbles Monday and Tuesday until we could get vet tape (And he got named Bandaid in the process). The vet tape is staying on, but Bandaid still isn't pushing up on his legs, and gets around by flopping a lot. We don't see him eating or drinking, so we are helping him to the water several times a day, and have offered him raw egg yolk, which he's drank.

Is there anything else we can do? He's definitely a fighter, and I'm happy to put the time and energy in, but want to be sure I'm doing all I can. In

Attachments

• FF245A79-45E8-4C77-91D1-CCA3888448DE.jpeg
    FF245A79-45E8-4C77-91D1-CCA3888448DE.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 19
Have you checked for slipped tendons? Our little chick was very similar, we tried the splay leg wrap and he still wouldnt stand, after lots of research we found that he had a slipped tendon. We managed to wrap it in place and he had a chair for 3 days then as soon as we took it off he stood up straight away- very very shaky but he is now 13 weeks and running around like nothing happened.
Theres a brilliant article we followed on here but I don't know how to link it to here I'm afraid. Its called treating a chick with a slipped tendon:eek:ne chicks story.
Good luck with your little one.

Have you checked for slipped tendons? Our little chick was very similar, we tried the splay leg wrap and he still wouldnt stand, after lots of research we found that he had a slipped tendon. We managed to wrap it in place and he had a chair for 3 days then as soon as we took it off he stood up straight away- very very shaky but he is now 13 weeks and running around like nothing happened.
Theres a brilliant article we followed on here but I don't know how to link it to here I'm afraid. Its called treating a chick with a slipped tendon:eek:ne chicks story.
No idea how that smiley face got there, its meant to say one chicks story.

Sometimes placing them in a small wineglass or padded cup to get them upright and trying the stand can help develop the legs. A chick sling or chair with the feet touching the floor may also work.

Here it is!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ith-a-slipped-tendon-one-chick’s-story.69353/

Back
Top Bottom