Splay leg? Broken leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kdolly87, Dec 23, 2014.

1. kdolly87

kdolly87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga
    Hey y'all, I was given what I was told were 3 splay legged chicks. Well two of them were just too far gone by the time I intervened but one seems to be doing well. Except for she doesn't put any weight on one leg. She hops around like a little bunny to eat and drink. I tried the bandaid splint to attach both legs and flatten out the foot but she couldn't walk and just fell over when she tried.

I'm considering just leaving it as is since she's thriving but I don't want her to be cripple all her life. I tried to feel for broken bones or anything. The only thing I could tell was different is that her backwards leg joint is swollen and there seems to be less muscle mass in her upper leg. Any ideas? Suggestions?[​IMG]

2. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    The only advice I can give is to try to take some Vet Wrap (available at any farm store or Tractor Supply) and use that in place of the band aid splint. Vet wrap molds to the leg and adheres to itself, like an extra skin, except more sturdy. Also you mentioned that the chick could be a cripple all her life I just wanted to share my story of my barred Plymouth Rock hen that has one leg slightly shorter than the other, which has given her a permanent limp. She always was a little smaller than the others... in fact at first we thought she was a bantam... but now she is absolutely fine other than the limp... she eats and drinks normally and I help her by keeping the bowls close at hand so she doesn't have to walk very far. She is thriving and as long as she doesn't seem to be in any pain, I don't see any reason to try to change what she unfortunately was born with. Like humans, sometimes chickens are also born with handicaps.

3. kdolly87

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga
    Tha[quote name="myfinefeatheredfriends"

Thank you so much!! She is smaller than what I think is her sister. She doesn't seem to be in any pain when she's hopping or anything. She doesn't like to be picked up but once she's safe and secure in my hand she's calm. And I tried massaging the leg to stimulate some sort of muscle movement. She can move it and even brace herself if need be with it but refuses to walk with it.
    Thanks for sharing your story with me :) that's very comforting to hear!

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Sounds like she may have spranged it,or hit on something.Their legs are very delicate,so many things go around.

5. kdolly87

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga
    She

She may have, but she's doing great considering her ailment!

6. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    If it's swollen,soaking it in warm water,and ointment,with a bandage around the leg may help it unswol.Like my hen,she had a swollen foot,and now I guess wil limp her whole life.With chicks I find this more devistating,because,that bumps to chicks may look fun to pick at,so i would unsure to do this,and do as soon as possible.

7. kdolly87

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga

Upon inspection today she is doing so much better now. She's able to put weight on it and stretch it out fully so her foot is flat. There's no scrape or lesion at this point but I'm keeping a very close eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by