1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splay Leg Chick Remedy--Anyone Tried This?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EquestrianGal, Jul 3, 2011.

1. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    So, one of my baby chicks was born with the back toes curled under (bandaids on her feet for that seems to have caused VAST improvement for one foot and some improvement for other) and she is splay legged.
    Anyway, a friend who is a big bird person (but not chickens) recommended this remedy:
    http://birdcrazy.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=generalavianhealth&action=display&thread=28

Has anyone tried this or something similar? My main concern was that she would try to eat the sponge, but she doesn't seem to be messing with it much. I had tried the bandaid method, but it kept coming apart. She is such a determined little thing, and sweet, that I want to do what is best for her!

We have named her Hope-a-long. Since she seems to be doing well beyond all hope (she was the one I had to help out of her shell) and she kind of hops along.

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

never tried that nor even heard of the method. For chicks what I have heard and used successfully and found to be alot easier on the babies is rubberbands. get the thin rubber bands, if long you should only need one, knot you an end, just big enough to get one foot in, and it is losely secure to the leg, and then tie a knot to the other leg - again secure but not tight. leaving room between the legs "a normal" amount of space. This allows the chick to move, walk, and quickens healing as it makes the chick have to work against the bands and gain more muscle/strength. The issue i have with the bandaids and the sponge method I see in those pics, is that chicks would be completely hobbled and only be able to shuffle at best. They do not allow much movement and use of the legs, which impedes recovery in my opinion.

If the toes are curled, tried cutting you a piece of thin cardboard to the shape of the foot (splay feet on a cereal box and trace around the foot so it looks like a duck foot [​IMG] ) and then cut out the pieces, and tape those to the feet. its gangly, but helps hold form to the toes better.

3. EquestrianGal

May 9, 2011
    that sounds like it would do much better than what i am using (it is like a hobble [​IMG] ). do you know of a place where there are pictures so I could confirm that I am picturing/doing the right thing?

4. ScaredOfShadows

just think like a tied loop. tie to one leg if thats easier, make a double knot so it doesn't slip - and make sure its secure, but not tight. - do the same on the other leg leaving enough space between. Also you could just tie you some loops on both legs, cut the access and then tie another piece of rubberband between the two so you don't have so much work getting it just right with a wiggly chick. I will try to find you pics though hun, I know there are some! I have seen them [​IMG]

5. ScaredOfShadows

http://stoneheadcroft.com/2007/06/03/correcting-splayed-legs/

heres
    a pic, the same concept they just used string or yarn. It works if thats what you have on hand, however I prefer rubberbands OR the elastic string for crafts, because they are able to give and makes the chick kind work at it. just do the bottom set, nearer the ankles, and with rubberbands leave only the butt width of space, no extra space, the feet should be 'normally placed' under the chick. - roughly the same width as you did with the bandaids - just with the rubberbands like I said it allows for a bit more movement. if you use something like yarn - give just a tiny bit more room, to allow for movement.

(edited to add this)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6150232

check at the bottom of this thread. - she has the colored bands for chicks - but making knotted loops that do the same - work just as well. OR this reminds me - the little zipties - 2 of them - cut off the extra (leave a bit of space so they turn and move easy) and a bit of elastic string would do the exact same thing.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  6. EquestrianGal

May 9, 2011
    thanks! I just want to make sure I am doing the best thing for her.
    Plus, I am leaving for a week on Friday and I cannot change it, so I want to get things set up as best as I can for her before I go. I have someone watching the chicks, but I would feel much better if there was some improvement before then.

7. EquestrianGal

May 9, 2011
    ok, that is what I was picturing--I don't need to do the top set though?

nevermind, got it--read the article more fully. it has been a long day and my brain isn't working at top speed.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  8. ScaredOfShadows

I don't think so. I've only ever done the set below the knees, if you put the ankle hobbles on and after 10-12 hrs the chick still is having a hard time, then I might think its having hip problems - then I would do the 2nd upper set. if you wont be around for a few days, check the day you leave, and re-do them, so you know if the chick has a 'baby growth spurt' they wont be too tight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by