Splay leg, deformed/missing toes?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPox, Nov 4, 2014.

1. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I've done LOTS of incubating with usually no problems, but this year I've been having some issues with splay legs and deformed/missing/turned in toes. It started out with shipped eggs, so I figured they might have gotten a bit scrambled in transit. But some of my own hen's (two separate bantam breeds) eggs have resulted in the same. My temps are very constant in bators I have used for years.

What could be causing this? Humidity? I am in a different location, but in the same area. Other than this issue, most babies that hatch are perfectly fine. All of my standard size hatches are fine, it's just the bantams (cochins, silkies, and OEGBs) that this is happening to. I run staggered hatches of all different breeds.

2. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Anyone?

3. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Bump. Will take any ideas? LOL! I have since upped my humidity. I have hatched these chicks without these problems, so I don't think it's genetic.

4. Bessetti

Bessetti Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Vermont
    That is so strange! I'm sorry that is happening to you, and I'm sorry that I don't have any advice, but I'll bump your post!

Are you using the same incubator as before?

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/diagnosing-hatch-failures-it-starts-with-the-egg

This is a great read,hope you find it usefull there is lots of information on what could be causing your problems.
    My thought would be that if you have not changed any incubation techniques that it could be have you changed your hens and roosters feed? Or how old your birds are now, ageing birds don't produce as good quality egg.

Hope you find the answers your looking for, good luck

6. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Same incubator, same everything. Birds are all quite young, these are some of the first eggs they have laid. Perhaps that's why some of them aren't turning out too well. I tried to splint and fix, but with tiny feathered legs, it didn't work. :( I will read the article, thanks!

7. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Hmmm, my birds are all healthy and have a balanced diet. It is interesting to see the vitamins required for development. But most of mine make it to hatch. I do lose a few early on, but that's typical.

I have decided to up the humidity. I like to do a drier hatch, and have had better luck with that in the past. But I am willing to try anything. I don't guess this is affecting the majority of the chicks, but since it has affected 3 different breeds, that's what led me to think there is something going on with the actual incubation. I will keep trying to research. Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    It could be then that this is because your eggs are from some that are new layers. There is some debate on hatching pullet eggs. Some people like to wait untill they have been laying for a while and that everything is in full working order and production.

Hope upping the humidity helps you I like 45% for day 1-18 then 65% at lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by