splay legs in older duckling???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by critters, May 21, 2011.

1. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

my 5 1/2 week old Pekin duckling has developed a leg/hip problem.[​IMG]..if she were newborn would think it to be splay leg but she is too old at almost 6 weeks...
    2 days ago I noticed she stood shorter than her 'sister' and saw that her "hip joints" seem to pertrude outward... it has slowed her down but haven't noticed
    anything else other than it hurts me... any ideas as to what has happened and what I can do for her??? she is in a pen so is limited on her roaming for now...
    any and all help is greatly appreciated....her name is Hanna and she thanks you too![​IMG]

2. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:What percentage protein are you feeding? Sometimes when you give them too much protein to far into it, it makes them like this. I'm no expert but, I only keep my ducklings on 24% for the first 3-4 weeks then drop them down to 16%. They are outside at that point and are getting other nutrients elsewhere in my pond and I see the feed as a supplement.

Good Luck Hope someone else pipes in!

3. critters

I feed my ducklings ( as well as my baby guinea and baby chicks) Dumor chick start/grower 20%....
    so...20% crude protein is what they are getting... am rather new to this and have been incubating eggs
    with great success...all so far have been healty until this... should i be feeding them different feed as well?
    thanks for all feed back.....

4. critters

meant to say so far all are HEALTHY until Hanna's leg problem...
    can anything be done for her or do I just let it go as is??

5. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Dumor's 20% should be fine at this point (my ducklings did fine on it).
    What is she walking on in the brooder? The bedding needs to be non-slip and sturdy to help her support her body correctly.

6. critters

she has been walking on grass for some time now..well for 6-7 days anyway....she was on shavings with a thin rubber runner on top of those...even at 5 1/2 weeks she is a big girl...wondered if her weight was too much for her legs?? she is a healthy little thing...Hanna and her sister Anna are both big girls but they were the only Pekins I had at the time...I understand that Pekins are a larger breed and faster grower than my other ducks but just don't know if there was/is something else I should be doing for her....( I was given 3, 1 week old Pekins the other day and want to do things right by them if possible) .. Thanks for your input!

7. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    If you think its a weight issue, I would stop the Dumor 20% and go to a chick grower at 15% - just make sure it has niacin or you supply the niacin suppliments. Weight is something to watch out for in heavier bigger breeds.

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by