?Splay Legs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, Jul 21, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    My chick was hatched approximately 3 am this morning so she is ~12 hours old. I took her out of the incubator about 7:30am since she was dry and I was taking other chicks out. The other 2, who were hatched ~24 hours ago now are doing fine but this one seems to have trouble standing up. Her left leg is rotated away from her body and she doesn't like to stand on it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1) Is this splay leg or is it just a young chick who hasn't gotten her full chick strength yet?
    2) Should I leave her alone or can I do anything to help?
    3) Should I put her back in the incubator, away from the other chicks? I have 2 eggs in there still, but I don't think they are going to hatch.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I personally had two splay leg chicks from my last hatch. that looks to be the case here. Regardless, the method of bracing splay legs probably won't hurt it even if it doesn't truly have splay legs. Here's a link/pic to how to brace him/her:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

If it truly is splay/spraddle leg, it will correct itself within a day or two using this bracing method

3. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    awesome. When my husband gets home, we will start our OT work!

4. turningchicken

turningchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    I was so thrilled with the reply you got and the website to check out. I had justed posted a question because one of my blue silkies won't stand on one leg. I will try the bandade treatment and see what happens. Best of luck to you.

5. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    you too!

6. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I band-aided her legs as described. The left leg seems rotated as well as splayed out from her body. She is determined to hold the left leg higher than the right, so now that they are taped together, she just tips over to the right side or backwards. I think she has curled toes on the right side too so I put that foot in a band-aid splint as well, per other thread instructions.

She can't sit up on her own, so I put her in a teacup with some papertowels with her feet on the floor of the cup. The other 2 chicks are merciless and this protects her from them as well. Again, less than 24 hours so I'm not too worried about food and water although I've been giving little sips of water mixed with karo syrup.

Bracing by daughters for the worst. Lots of tears from little girls at our house tonight.[​IMG]

Anything else I should be doing?

I guess if it never went poorly, it wouldn't be so amazing when it all goes perfectly.

7. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I separated the chick from the others and gave it food and water and took her out of the teacup. I am still not convinced she's going to be Ok but we will see.

8. turningchicken

Jun 8, 2010
    It sounds just like mine!! I too taped the legs, but have not has the heart to seperate it from the others. They are still less than 24 hors old and stay in a huddle. I hope she gets better, but I too have doubts. Don't have the heart not to do everything possible for her. I surely want to know how your chick does.

9. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    So, it died sometime overnight, right at about 48h old. In retrospect, I don't think it really had splay legs. I think it was a palsey of some sort. It never put any weight on that leg at all. So sad.

TurningChicken: How did yours do?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  10. turningchicken

Jun 8, 2010
    I am so sorry to hear it didn't make it, but some times death is merciful. This is mine and so far eating by itself, but I hold it to help it dring every few hours. He won't put weight on it ans won't curl his toes. I massage his leg and curl in his toes periodically. Don't know at all what I'm doing, though. Isn't he cute
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by