splay legs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by camchick, Oct 13, 2011.

1. camchick

camchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    So I just hatched some chicks in an incubator and unfortunately one of them has got splayed legs. I think I moved it to the brooder too soon. I read that putting a towel in the brooder is better for grip than paper towels. This worked for about a day then my little chick seemed to be just as wide legged again. So now I have used a band aid to keep its legs where they need to be. Its now 4 days old and seems ok with the band aid.

I'm just worried that it will be permenantly splay legged. What happens if it is?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Unfortunately the splayed legs can get pretty serious as the bones are starting to fuse and all. I would keep the bandaid on as long as possible so the chick can get all the nutrients he/she needs.

Also mixing in oyster shells can help with calcium and help the little bones get stronger so the chick can walk normal again.

Best of luck!

3. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    Thanx for the info. I have finch and budgie grit that has oyster shell in it. Is this ok to use? Also, could I use crushed cuttlebone?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2 on the bandaid. It can take a while for the chick to gain the proper muscle to stand without it. Keep it on till the chick gets stronger. Here is a good web site on applying the bandaid and some helpful tips. Good luck!

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Edit to add: I wouldn't use any grit that has oyster shell in it yet. You can get plain parakeet grit at any pet store. If you are only feeding crumbles, being that they are water soluble, you should not need grit until you offer other foods.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    Thanks for the web address. That's where I first found the band aid idea! Lol

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I just take the powder out of the grit/oystershell and mix it in the GBS. I wouldn't stick any big pieces yet in. A breeder in California raising cbbq for 30 years told me to do this (Jodi McDonald) and I have done it with all quail chick species to help them get stronger each day.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You might want to separate that one into a smaller group too, that way there won't be as many trying to run it over. Then its little legs can learn to hold its own body weight and not the weight of half the group [​IMG]

8. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    Does anyone know what happens if it can't be corrected? I'm hoping it can but just in case...

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't think there is much you can do if while wearing the bandaid, the chick does not gain the natural strength on it's own. I suppose you could take care of it the rest of it's days in this condition. I knew a lady that had a Conure parrot that had this condition and it never did get over it. But she kept it in a basket. He did learn over time to crawl over to the feed and water, however he did need a lot of supportive care. I am not sure if the bird was in any pain. I have since lost track of this woman so I do not know how long this bird lived, but when I last heard from her, the bird was 2 years old. Good luck with your baby!

Edit to add: You could try adding liquid vitamins to his/her water. Find a good mix that has not only vitamins, but minerals, amino acids and other good stuff. It is possible that the chick is lacking something in its diet or is unable to absorb certain things that maybe the vitamin water will help with.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  10. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I have a bunch of friends who breed parrots. When their babies have splay leg/s they fashion some sort of thing with 2 rubberbands tied together. You can pull or adjust the rubberbands to whatever length you need...that way the chick can still move its leg but the bands keep the leg from "swinging out" splayed & in the proper position where it can grow & develop in proper position. It isn't always 100% though.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by