splayed leg and foot problem * Updated w/ PICS ***

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Celiandy, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Celiandy

Celiandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    I just hatched a little polish chick that has splayed legs and it's feet are curled. I tried fixing both problems with the bandaid between the legs for the splay and the foot braces but it couldn't walk, just kept getting all tangled up in its feet, poor thing. I took the shoes off and it is doing ok but not great. It kind of walks on its toes, it doesn't have enough flexibility in its ankles to bend its feet to walk. Its ankles are stiff when I try bending them like a normal chicks feet. I don't know if any of this makes sense, I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. I remember reading about someone that had this problem and fixed it with some braces that bent/stretched the feet in a normal position but I can't find the thread. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  3. Celiandy

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    Thanks for the info Imp, yes, Port Angeles WA, are you in this neck of the woods?

The chick is starting to do a bit better, I left the bandaid on its legs for the splay, after 2 days I put one of the bandaid shoes on the foot that looked the worst that it seemed to be having a hard time putting pressure on. I've been helping it stand up straight and giving it polyvisol drops, it's starting to do ok. I think with the booty on it can put a little more pressure on its foot that helps it bend more at the ankle. I'll put another boot on the other foot today. It's amazing that these little guys can recover from something like that. I'm still working on getting some pics of him, although he doesn't look near as bad now.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Glad it's doing better.

I'm in Renton, so not too close. There are a few members over your direction. Come check out the Washingtonians thread in the Where are you forum. It's pretty active, and lots of nice people.

Imp

5. Celiandy

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    I guess I spoke too soon. I went to check on it and the leg that has the boot on it is not looking so great. The chick isn't putting much pressure on it and it seems to be facing outwards. You can kind of see how it's walking on its toes in the pic. It's doing a little better but it still doesn't bend its foot like the other chicks. Here are some pics, I have a video I can post too if it would be helpful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. drsooseme2

drsooseme2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Marysville
    Does anyone know what happened with this chick? I have one that looks similar. One leg/foot is fine. She seems unable to make her other ankle 90 degrees to stand/walk on it. She gets around but does get tired. She hatched Thursday so today is day 3. I'm going to try to make a Q-tip splint somehow and take a photo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by