Splayed leg and swollen feet/joints

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saranna, Mar 16, 2013.

1. saranna

saranna New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Hello! I'm new here and not even a backyard chicken raiser. I have some eggs we are hatching at school and one of them has what I think is splayed legs. I read your forum and the ideas on bandaids. I had him splintered since Friday but he still can't seem to stand up. His head is forward lying on the ground and he doesn't seem to want to pick it up. I replaced the bandaids with bandages today (as his feathers were sticking to it) and noticed his joint - knee??? is quite swollen and looks grazed? Any ideas

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sounds like it could be slipped tendon.

4. saranna

saranna New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Thank you both, unfortunately the poor little thing passed away tonight. After starting to look a little better yesterday and trying to move around he started to go downhill today even with water and sugar water feeds. Both his knees ended up very swollen and grey. Poor little thing was such a little fighter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by