1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Splayed leg and weird feather

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Buttercup902, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Buttercup902

Buttercup902 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    We have 3 or 4 day old keets. We have had them about 48hr. Last night we found this guy with a splayed leg. We bound him up and separated him. I think they were picking at him bc he also has a little spot near his eye. Today he was getting around and we put him back in with the others but I see his wing is a little weird. Is this from the other picking on him? I have not seen one go after him. He is getting around alright and eating. Not sure about drinking. Should I separate him out again?

[​IMG]

2. gguineasfamily

gguineasfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Some keets just put their wing like that. I don't know why. But keep an eye on him and if he's happy and eating I would leave him there

What floor do you have? In the pic it looks like sand. I would suggest paper towels with the lumpy side up. Not the soft paper towels but the tough ones with bumps. That will help him not slip. Another idea I had just now would be bubble wrap. With the bubbles up. That may help him not slip but I haven't tried it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by