Splayed leg at 6 weeks now broody before ever laying...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by matt7sd, Aug 10, 2013.

1. matt7sd

matt7sd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    Washington state
    We have an Ameraucana that was fine as a young chick then at about 6 weeks old she started developing what looked like a splayed leg. We tried correcting it multiple ways to no avail. We decided to leave it and see what happens. Now her knee on that leg is larger than the other leg but the foot still looks normal. Now she is about 22 weeks, she hasn't grown very big and hasn't started laying (not sure she ever will). Our other 3 are laying just fine(barred rock, buff and wyandotte) She still eats and poops just fine but now she is spending all her time in the nesting boxes as if she is broody. I can't find anything online about hens going broody before ever laying or about chicks getting splayed legs after about the first 2 weeks (that's one reason we left it alone). Any suggestions would be great. I hate to put her down when she seems ok despite the gimpy leg, but I think we might have to.

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Is there a possibility the Achilles Tendon in the hock joint on that leg slipped out of its groove? There is info on that on the Poultry Podiatry page on the website in my sig.

3. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    It could be infectious arthritis due to a virus or more likely, to a bacteria such as staph, Mycoplasma or salmonella.

Salmonella likes to infect joints, especially the major joints ("elbow", ankles, "knees"). You might want to check out the wing joints for swelling or asymmetry.

4. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Marek's also causes progressive paralysis, usually starting in one limb.

Mycoplasma Synovaie might be another thing to check into, but if she seems fine otherwise, I'm not sure if it's likely.

5. matt7sd

Aug 10, 2013
    Washington state
    I think that's it. I wish I would have read about this 2 months ago when it first happened. Her joint is swollen. I'm worried that its grown wrong since its been a few months, do you think I can still fix it?

6. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Sadly, I would say she'll probably need to be put down. I cared for a pullet that I believe had a slipped tendon (I didn't know as much about it then as now) until she was 5 months old. She was a sweetheart & we shared a bond. Her increasing weight was causing her to be less comfortable & her legs were increasingly deformed, & the time involved in caring for her challenges was so major that I decided to put her down then. I think it's probably usually best to put birds down much earlier when they have this problem and it can't be fixed.
    It's wonderful you've extended your heart in caring for her, & I know it's hard to let a chicken like this go if it's necessary. I wish you & her the best in whatever comes. [​IMG]
    p.s. I've heard of hens can spend a lot of time in the nesting box just before starting to lay, though I haven't observed this myself.

7. matt7sd

Aug 10, 2013
    Washington state
    Thank you for the help and advice. I really appreciate it. I guess it's better to put her down now then to have her live a difficult crippled and possibly painful life.
    Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by