Splayed Leg? Chick won’t put weight on one leg

Bonnie G

Chirping
Feb 20, 2022
Hi everyone!

I just did my first incubation, and 7 chicks hatched! I am very new to this, so maybe someone with more experience can help me out a bit.

The one that is the most recent to hatch, doesn’t want to put any weight on one of their feet. To get around, it hops. At first, I figured that maybe it needed a day or two to figure out how to walk, but now I’m not so sure. It doesn’t seem to be in pain and appears to be healthy and happy otherwise.

The leg seems to want to go off to the one side. Is there anything I can do to help this little chick? Is this a case of splayed leg or maybe an injury? To my untrained eye, there doesn’t appear to be a broken bone or anything.

Thank you all in advance! I have a video… too bad I can’t insert it.

Attachments

• 1BB4A25F-943A-47A9-B262-E2236BC47BFC.png
    1BB4A25F-943A-47A9-B262-E2236BC47BFC.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 20
I have the same issue with one of my new (about 3 days old) silkie chick. I didn't think it's splayed legs and gave the chick (plus mama and other chicks) some save a chick electrolytes, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. I was hoping it would get better and didn't want to remove the chick from mama hen, but it isn't getting better. Thinking maybe a splint won't hurt....idk. following post.

I have a 7 week old chick who has a slipped tendon. It could not be fixed due to a deformity in the hock joint (so said avian vet). Her leg sticks out from her thigh at a near 90° angle. She gets around by hopping/flapping her wings.

Now, it's perfectly feasible that you might be able to fix the little leg using hobbles or splints and stretching. And it's absolutely worth trying. I just want you to know that, sometimes, it's irreparable.

Back
Top Bottom