splayed leg chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StelleKitten, Mar 17, 2013.

1. StelleKitten

StelleKitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    I got convinced to take this sick chicken, he had one leg that sticks straight out. I am using three band aid method and it sort of works. How long before i can expect results and is it normal for the chick to be half the size of the other ones? I will be posting a video shortly, I'm using my phone to post this.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    It should take at least a few weeks. Be patient with it, as it will be better to keep it on for longer than for too short a time.
    Good luck!

3. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    I received some advice about our little turken.Instead of banding his legs we taped his feet to a small piece of cardboard. His feet were turned in such a way that he wouldn't walk on his feet, just the knee. We are hand feeding him and watering him. We have to help him keep his balance but he seems to love all the attention. We are calling it a he but we really don't know. I think the chicky will be spoiled.

4. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    [​IMG]

5. thundermg1swife

thundermg1swife New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Alabama
    Not spoiled yet...
    When they roost on the couch, jump on your head at 0430 to go outside to potty and have their own Disney Little Mermaid plate at the table, THEN they're spoiled ...Hand to God true story of Chicky Redbird...

6. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    Lol, he's sleeping on my husband lap right now. Found out one of his little legs was dislocated at the knee joint. We made him a littlebitty cast out of a medicine tube to hold that joint and to make sure this leg doesn't twist back to the upside down foot.

The other leg send to function but is just facing the wrong way. But the foot faces the right direction thankfully. He eats and drinks just fine.

7. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    With the correct treatment, his legs should be up and working within a few days.

ETA: Can you get a picture so we can see his legs? I'm not so sure if this is splayed legs. It could very well be a slipped tendon. You say he's walking on his knee area with his leg facing the wrong way? Is his knee area swollen at all, or does it look different from the normal leg? If this is a slipped tendon, it needs to try to be treated ASAP.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  8. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
  9. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    From that link that you posted I am pretty sure it is slipped tendon. At least on one leg. The other is broken. Right now we have him in a cast which is holding his little broken leg in the right position but I will have to make a different type for his other leg. The hock is swollen but I think it is from him walking on it for so long. (three days or so I guess, don't know for certain). It is bruised looking but doesn't have a fever. He is eating very well and drinking very well. We finally got the pasty but mess all cleaned up. Regular poops now.

What sort of stuff can I give him to help with the vitamin deficiencies?

10. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Took the cast off and found a new sore on the back of one hock. What do I do with this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by