"Splayed leg fix----hopefully

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BabyGirl09, May 11, 2009.

1. BabyGirl09

BabyGirl09 New Egg

May 11, 2009
    My name is BabyGirl09. My first topic. I think I can help someone with what I've learned. I have a Sebastopol gosling with splayed legs. I have already lost two. Trying desperately to save Baby. Sounds funny but hobble their legs with a soft ribbon or bandaid and place the chick on a non-skid surface. I have her in a Pyrex square bowl with towels all around her. I have searched for days trying to find something about it. WWW.poultryhelp.com, "spraddle legs" did it for me. I'm using a ribbon on Baby and I will see what happens in a few days.
    BabyGirl09

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Spraddle leg is fairly common. If you do a search on the board you can see lots of pics and helpful threads.

3. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I have fixed a few chicks like this, I hope yours recovers as well. The only thing I would add is to make sure there are pebbles in the water dish or use a quail waterer. The chicks will topple over until they are used to the hobble and I had one fall into the chick waterer and drown.

4. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    I have on and his legs aren't splayed out or anything .. he just can't seem to stand up. I put a half a band-aid on them like I saw other people doing online to help "splayed" legs but it doesn't seem to be the problem with him. He just sorta lays there. Is that splayed legs and will the band aid hobble help?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Is it a new chick? Maybe he needs a little boost like extra vitamins or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by