Splayed leg keet

AMoritz

Songster
Jul 12, 2018
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
I have 2 hatched keets so far, Earl is 4 days old and Evie is 2 days old.
Evie appears to have splayed leg. I though it was just cuz she was very young but it's def not getting better. There are times both her legs are OVER her wings :hit
I read an article on here to use a small rubber band and a straw. I am currently out of straws, and no pipe cleaners. Any other suggestions?
IMG_20180719_000705649.jpg
IMG_20180719_000647818_HDR.jpg

I had the SAME problem last year. I found this article and did the steps and I worked. It’s simple and easy to do! And it works! https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2012/10/spraddle-leg-band-aid-fix.html?m=1
Good luck!

Ooooo a bandaid seems to be the better option, I was worried too about a straw beating up her poor legs. I just went out a bit ago and got some straws and did this before I saw your reply :barnie
I'm going to take it off and do the bandaid instead. Should it be more around their ankles, in the middle, or up towards the "knee" joints more? I don't want to cause her anymore stress then she already has :(

Ooooo a bandaid seems to be the better option, I was worried too about a straw beating up her poor legs. I just went out a bit ago and got some straws and did this before I saw your reply :barnie
I'm going to take it off and do the bandaid instead. Should it be more around their ankles, in the middle, or up towards the "knee" joints more? I don't want to cause her anymore stress then she already has :(
The middle of the leg. Closer to the ‘ankles’.

Well we're on the subject of Evie, I took her bandaid splint off and replaced it with a new one (upon observation today the first one was too loose), I was getting worried she might not be eating and/or pooping. Right after I got done putting her new bandaid splint on she pooped on my mudroom floor. Does this look normal? When I cleaned it up there was a little bit of white underneath it all.
I have been picking her up and dipping her beak into the water tray a couple times every time I walk through to make sure she's getting enough to drink.
I'm not familiar with how it should be/look as this is my first batch of keets.
IMG_20180719_203937967.jpg

Back
Top Bottom