Splayed leg on towels enough?

crazychickenwom

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 10, 2012
Central Ohio
Just, and I mean just, got home with my newest chicks and when taking them from the hatchery box to put them in the brooder I noticed one had a splayed leg. She seems to be doing "ok" getting around so I am hesitant to apply the band-aid leg brace if I don't need to. I have replaced the paper towels with old dish towels for better traction, as well as used the nesting material from the hatchery box. She seems to be getting along a little better with something better to walk on and is doing ok with the others. My question I guess is at what point should I just go ahead with the bandage? If its not better by tomorrow? Day 2 or 3? This is the breed I have been looking forward to since I ordered them long ago - a faverolles - and I want to be sure I got it right. Thanks so much for your help!!

Hi crazychickenwom,
I'd be putting the band-aid on now, rather than waiting. That's because having the leg sticking out to the side even a little bit is keeping her unbalanced and potentially leading to strain on the ligaments etc.
If it's a mild case it may only need to be on her for a day or two.
I'm no expert in this, those are just my thoughts.
cheers
Erica

do the band aid thing now. Or use pipecleaner. The longer you wait the more permanent damage can affect her. Also keep her close to her food and water while mending her legs.

Back
Top Bottom