1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splayed Leg? Slipped Tendon? Help I am new!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MegThompson, Mar 15, 2017.

1. MegThompson

MegThompson Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    My[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My chick is about 4 weeks old, I noticed it had a crooked leg 2 days ago and have tried to splint it a few times yesterday but it kept getting out of it. Am I doing the right thing? I know it's tendon slipped because the joint is super swollen and bulbous and I can see where the tendon should be. Am I doing the right thing? Is it too late? Do I need to prepare my heart for a sad ending? How long do I keep this splint on for?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :welcome

Hopefully someone will no what to do. because I would tell her to walk it off.

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    If the tendon is slipped, this will be really difficult to turn around at 4 weeks of age. It's usually a sign of a vitamin deficiency in the breeding stock, with insufficient vitamins present in the egg during embryo development. I'm pretty sure it's a deficiency in one of the B vitamins. You could try a vitamin supplement to see if it improves (e.g., Poly-Vi-Sol without iron, or Durvet vitamins), but if you see no improvement in a week or two, you may have to put it down as it will suffer from not being able to walk correctly.

Unfortunately, the tendon may continue to slip out of place even with treatment. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by