1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splayed leg/toe removal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by larryjm21, Oct 31, 2013.

1. larryjm21

larryjm21 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Strange outcome for a 6 week old Welsummer, at 6 weeks we found her in the brooder with her legs splayed front and back. She didn't seem to want to use her right leg but thought we would try a leg band and see if she would respond. After about a week she started sitting on her legs, but now both feet were curled under. The legs felt OK so we removed her band and put splints on her toes to keep her feet flat.

After a few days we noticed that both splints were gone and one foot was bleeding. (We have a 36" X 36" wire cage used as a introduction brooder/hospital) What we had not seen was that a rat was digging under the cage. It had grabbed a foot, almost cut off the middle toe and had several cuts along the leg. She didn't seem to be in much pain so we thought we would try to save her. The middle toe was only attached by the tendon, so we snipped it off. We coated the foot and leg with emergency paste and let it set for an hour then recovered with New Skin.

During the next week her far left toe turned black and the knuckle had a layer of black on it. Our thought was if the leg started turning black we would put her down. After 2 more coatings a New Skin, 3 times a day of checking both legs (now the right leg started being straight instead of bending) so we kept working the right leg and trying to keep her left toe moving.

Now, three weeks later, she lost her left toe and the black fell off the knuckle. Both legs and feet are working together, she is able to stand and no longer has to roll using her wings to move. I just put more new skin over the knuckle where the black skin fell off. OH, we did have antibiotics in the water for 10 days after the rat attack.

I think in the next few days as the knuckle finishes healing we will let her in to the flock. She has 3 visitors now, young chicks that started showing signs of illness. I put them on antibiotics for a few days with extra vitamins to strengthen up.

Our who flock is 32 with mostly 2's and 3's of different breeds.

Let me know if you think I should have done something different. Larry

2. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    I was wondering why you are putting sick chicks in with her while you are trying to get her better? Do you know what the chicks have? Is it contagious?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. larryjm21

larryjm21 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Definately not, I don't think she would be able to walk now if it was.

5. larryjm21

larryjm21 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    In the past 1 1/2 years I have noticed that a pullet will seem to be ill, in that it will start standing around with its head under it wing, no energy, not eating much. If I let the illness run it self out, the chick dies. If I put it on antibiotics for a few days, it normally recovers. So I have my wire brooder where I put them and let them keep warm with no pestering by the rest of the flock. The three that are in the brooder with the chick with feet problems don't want to come out. I open it up during the day but they stay in there with their little friend and have become a little family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by