splayed leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimberly4403, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Kimberly4403

Kimberly4403 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    This morning i noticed my 15 week old rooster 1 of his legs is turned out to the side almost like splayed leg hes getting around fine, eating drinking etc fine seems happy and healthy not sure if hes had it since we got them at 1week old im really only noticing it now. Ill try andget pics but its only noticable when hes walking around the leg kinda turns to the side

2. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    put the leg back straight and put some horse wrap on it

Ps u can get the horse at tractor supply

3. Kimberly4403

May 18, 2015
    [​IMG]

See how the leg is going outto the side when i wrap it how tight and high do i go it seems to twist from the "knee" joint but its not swollen or anything can i use a human bandage?

4. Kimberly4403

May 18, 2015
    It looks like a slipped tendon

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may want to Google "leg bone deformities in poultry" since he could have had a common defect that has gotten worse since he has grown. The hock tendon can give out or rupture with some of these bone deformities. The legs can bow out or inward, and it can include one or both legs. Not much can be done about a deformity. Some birds can get along with a little extra attention in a small flock. A slipped tendon is not very successfully treated usually, but it doesn't hurt to at least try. Search for Poultry Pedia podiatry or slipped tendon in chickens to find instructions on trying to put the tendon back in place. Splinting with bet wrap, and checking it daily may help. Poultry vitamins with trace minerals could be beneficial, since a deficiency in the parents could be a cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by