1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Splayed Leg!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunny-Side Up, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Sunny-Side Up

Sunny-Side Up Turn towards the sun & the shadows fall behind you Premium Member

May 1, 2017
  2. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Worcester, UK
    How old is she....newborn chicks sleep A LOT! That is perfectly normal. And one that has had issues may sleep even more. Can you give her some Nutri Drench? Or a drop of honey? Or a drop or two of sugar water? It'll give her a bit of an energy boost. Has she got other chicks for company? That will help to stimulate her. If not, she needs a cuddly toy friend as a stand in and some chicks her age as soon as you can. Give her a chance though, a hobbled chick struggles to start but very often catches up and in a couple of days, you may wonder what all the worry was about x Good luck xx

jonalisa and 12animals3 like this.
  3. Sunny-Side Up

May 1, 2017
    She's with the other chicks, and is one week old. I have some Nutri-Drench and hopefully she'll make it. I don't know how long she had splayed leg before I noticed it since she just slept like the others. Thanks

4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Crowing

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    I would give her some honey. Also, are you sure she can get to the water?

12animals3 likes this.
  5. Sunny-Side Up

May 1, 2017
    How can I get her to eat the honey since it's so thick? Dilute it with water?

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  6. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Crowing

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    I would put a little hot water with it, then put it in a syringe, and drop some in her mouth. She may like it, once she gets the taste, and if she does, ou could put some in a little bowl.

12animals3 likes this.
  7. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Worcester, UK
    Well if she's a week old, she's clearly been able to eat and drink up til now or she'd have passed away. Keep an eye on her, make sure she can access the food and water now she's hobbled. You may have to help her out a bit....move her to it a few times a day....but the hobble usually only takes a couple of days to do the trick x

12animals3 likes this.
  8. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Worcester, UK
    If you have Nutri Drench, that's preferable to honey as it has a broader range of nutrients in it and they are absorbed directly into the bloodstream, rather than passing through the digestive system, giving much quicker results xx

9. Sunny-Side Up

May 1, 2017
    Already she's carefully standing! I think she'll make it and heal. You say a couple days until she'll be ready to walk? Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  10. Spicer887

Spicer887 Hatching

Mar 23, 2018
    I'm jumping onto this thread! I have a 2 week old Delaware (with 6 other chicks) that seems to have splayed legs. She can walk but not for long. She's eating, drinking, and pooping. She's much smaller than the other birds. Do I need to put a splint on her legs?
    Do you think her slow growth means she won't make it?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: