Splayed leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coppercanyon, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Coppercanyon

Coppercanyon New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    Hi there,

Got a question I am hoping someone will have some experience with and may be able to lend some helpful advice. I have an approx. 19 week old bantam (not laying yet) hen, who had splayed leg when she was about 2-3 weeks old. We treated her by wrapping her legs togeather according to typical directions, isolated her and kept her quiet for 3 days, and then removed the bandages. When we returned her to the coop, she seemed a bit sore and a little slower than the other birds, but otherwise, her splayed leg seemed to be corrected and she returned to normal withing a couple of days. She was active and moving around normally for many weeks, and then 4 days ago, I noticed the same leg is now splaying again. I removed her from the coup, taped her legs togeather again and kept her quiet for three more days, hoping the same treatment would do the trick. After removing the bandages this time, she does not appear to have made any improvement at all, and is having great difficulty even maintaining her balance on this very splayed leg. I have re-wrapped her again this evening, and I am writing to see if anyone has any idea on the best way to progress with her treatment. I thought I had this one figured out, but now I am not sure at all what to do next???

I also wanted to comment on a victory we had nursing a very sick Rhode Island Red 1 1/2 year old hen back to health. After taking her to the vet and ruling out many things, he sent me home with directions on how to tube feed her, and said the best we could do was to support her nuitionally and hope for the best. I read the day before, a thread where someone's chicken had eaten something toxic and had treated her bird with molasses to flush out the toxins. I knew she was getting all the vitamins, minerals, and fluids she needed in the bird recovery formula I was tube feeding her, but she did not seem to be feeling any better (droopy head, puffy, swollen eyes, sleeping alot, not eating on her own). I administered the molasses before bed, and the next morning she was perking up, standing and holding her head up. Aftr 3 doses spread out over the next day and a half, she was eating and drinking on her own, and trying to get out of the port-a-crib we had been nursing her in. She is now fully recovered and integrated back into the coop with the rest of the girls, thriving and looking quiet healthy. I can't tell you how excited I was to see her improving, and to know that I could not have done it without The Backyard Forum. The information is invaluable, and I owe the life of this bird to all of you who put your knowledge out there for the rest of us to absorb. Thank You So Very Much!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by