splayed leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kirsten95, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kirsten95

Kirsten95 New Egg

Nov 17, 2012
    Maryland
    How late is too late to treat splayed leg?

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I've only done it with chicks that are under a week old. How old is your bird? I honestly don't know if there are risks to treating an older chick.

3. Animol

Animol Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    England
    The older the bird, the harder spraddle–leg is to correct. This is because bones of older nestlings and adults are more calcified and rigid and cell structure less adaptable to change. Correcting the problem in grown or nearly grown birds sometimes requires that a veterinarian cut and wire abnormally shaped bones in a procedure somewhat similar to the "triple pelvic osteotomy" (links from that article still go to U.Penn website) performed in humans and dogs. In these birds, the legs will probably never return to a completely normal anatomy and function.
    From this website:
    http://www.2ndchance.info/spraddle.htm

4. Kirsten95

Kirsten95 New Egg

Nov 17, 2012
    Maryland
    okay, hes about one or two months old but my mom took him to work with her today and shes a vet tech so i hope we can fix him, if not i guess we will have to cull him, i really want to save him though! he has become this way because acouple girls in my vet science class hatched out chicks but during the incubation the temp. spiked and he became deformed. his one leg is literly on sideways and both his feet and curled under so hes walking on the tops of his feet (he doesnt walk, he flops). shes going to see if the vets can figure something out for him, wish him luck!

5. Animol

Animol Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    England
    I once had one with curled in feet like that, in the end he came down with some sort of paralysis so we put him down but never got one the same since. I think it must've been because of the difficult hatching (mum got of half way through with hatched chicks following and the few half hatched left behind). Wish you the best of luck with yours :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by