Splayed leg?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tomarcs, Feb 26, 2014.

1. tomarcs

tomarcs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    Sonoma County,CA
    First time chicken keeper, just got my first batch of chicks today from Cackle hatchery, 30 live bantams. All seem well, except one. Immediately when we started placing them in the brooder we noticed it was having trouble standing. Specifically, it rests on its right leg with its left leg sticking out sideways. Sound like splayed leg or a tendon slip?

I felt up both legs with thumb and index finger, didn't feel like anything was out of place or like a rubber band. So I went with splayed legs, and put a small bandage to bind the two legs parallel as instructions say. Well, in doing this by myself it wasn't quite parallel.

I returned it to it's mates, only now it quickly loses its balance and rolls on its side/back, and can't right itself. This was about 6 hours ago. I've since cut the bandaid, as it can't even stand, and now it can at least do that again.

To top it off, this one seems to be smaller than the rest, and I'm not certain it fully developed at its eyes are almost always closed, and I've only seen one open very briefly a couple of times.

I try doing its beak in the water, but I don't think it's drinking. And it's definitely not eating the crumble or soupy crumble I mixed.

Any suggestions?

Brooder is adequately heated and sized, pine shavings with paper towels on top. Water with ACV, chick starter crumble unmedicated.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. DrakeJake

DrakeJake Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    Oh so sad, I'm of no help other than to feel bad for you. I get my very first box of day old chicks march 7 so every ones adventure and experience is of interest to me. I really hope I don't have any problems, I am such a sap I'm sure it will break me.

3. tomarcs

tomarcs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    Sonoma County,CA
    Thanks for your thoughts Freida, a nice word is always appreciated!

I've now tried cleaning the eyes with a warm paper towel, not really much effect thigh I have seen it open both eyes for a short period of time now. I've also redone the bandaid brace, this time further apart, and I want to say it seems better. Also did some exercises supporting its body, trying to get it to get used to standing up. I do believe I've gotten it to drink water, but it my have gotten some in its lungs.... I hear the popping nose a little bit. Still hasn't eaten, not even hard boiled egg yolk. Good news: it's still alive. Bad news: a different one has passed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by