Splayed legs, getting worse

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SarahIrl, May 25, 2010.

1. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Tried hobbling, no luck there. So, been doing 'physio' by holding chick with feet together, she just goes to sleep in my hands. She is now lying with both feet out at right angles, so do I need to cull this one?

2. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm having a similar problem. I hobbled her, but it isn't improving the condition. However, mine gets around like a little tornado, eating, drinking, etc. So I can't cull it. I hope that if I keep at it with the orthepedics it will eventually grow out of it.

3. Mrs. Green Thumbs

Mrs. Green Thumbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you tried water therapy? Might help. For dog's with leg/hip/back injury we will hold the dog (depending on the size) in the water and allow it to float and then encourage it to kick. Really get's the blood flowing to the area that needs repairing, keeps those tendons and muscles flexible and gives them some exercise. Might help.

4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I checked the chick this morning, and it's foot was cold and the one leg was at 90 degrees to where it shoul dbe. Called my sister (a vet) and we have concurred that the chick has to be culled. So, doing it tonight, with a strong drink nearby. My dh worked in a chicken processing factory and he won't do it for me, he says I wanted chickens, I can deal with it. I will cry my eyes out this evening. Poor thig will starve/dehydrate to death if I don't. I have a toddler, four other chicks, three hens and soon two incubators on the go again, so I really don't have the room. Ho-hum, really disappointed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by