splayed legs? New duckling has me worried.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by johari, Feb 24, 2014.

1. johari

johari Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    So one of my ducklings is walking kind of funny. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it's like it can't get it's legs up under it. I haven't been able to get it out on a non slippery surface yet to really test this though. But when I had them both out at the same time the other duckling had no problem getting it's feet up under it. I will be testing them both on the carpet later. I just wanted ideas now incase there is a problem.

I have added niacin to their water. They are only a few days old.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I put the text in bold up there - ducklings on a slippery surface often get splayed legs, according to Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.

First, get a good surface. I used old towels. Some have used no-skid mesh fabric over bedding.

If that doesn't help, you may need to make little hobble braces to hold the legs together properly - not too tight around the legs. And B complex vitamins ought to help as well.

3. johari

Mar 30, 2013

Oh, their bedding isn't slippery. Just the floor I had them out on last night when I noticed it. I haven't noticed it when they are in their brooder. But I didn't have time this morning to do a check on other ground.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Whew. I misread that. My apologies.

I would give B Complex and base the amount on the niacin - 100 mg per gallon of water (my understanding is that the rest of the B vitamins would be in proper proportion to the niacin). This is an extrapolation from Storey's Guide's recommendations for niacin, and what other Duck Forum members are trying for leg problems.

And keep an eye on things, please let us know how the little is doing.

5. johari

Mar 30, 2013

It's ok, I wrote it a little weird. Lol.

6. bigbadwolf38

bigbadwolf38 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    I had a friend give me her 3 wk old duckling that she kept in her bathroom. Same thing with the splayed legs. We let it run the house and he ended up just fine. He just couldn't get a grip to walk. Try something like that and see how it fares! Good Luck!

7. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    They seem to both be doing fine now. [​IMG]

I love how I set up their waterer now. I only have to take out that corner tray when it gets soiled instead of having to clean the whole brooder every day.

8. bigbadwolf38

bigbadwolf38 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    [​IMG]

This is him on my daughters lap "playing" toys with the kids...[​IMG]

...and this is him after about 2 1/2 months later! They grow sooooo fast!!!
    They are sooooo cute! Makes me want more! Mine was that coloring and turned out to be a Mallard!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by