1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splayed legs??????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Franecca, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Franecca

Franecca Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Irvine, KY
    We have just had our 1st successful hatch. 36 eggs in bator, and 31 have hatched. All of the chicks are very healthy, except for 2. These 2 appear fine other than the fact that they have one leg turned out, and have trouble staying balanced. They are both eating and drinking, and show no signs of pasty butt. Is it possible that this is splayed legs, and can I do anything to help with this problem.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Is there anyway you could post a pic of the both of them/there
    leg(s)?

That would be very helpful, Thanks !!

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

do a search here on splayed legs. there are several methods including a band-aid one that seems really effective.

4. Franecca

Jun 22, 2008
    Irvine, KY
    YourLinkGoesHere [​IMG]

Okay I am trying to post a pic of the chick. I hope it works, and you can sort of see what I am talking about.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    do the band aid fix.. do it now..
    the longer you wait, the less chance of success you will have..
    or no success at all..

turn the leg forward and tape it into it's proper alignment. leave it taped for a few days.. that should do the trick..

If the leg does not straighten out, I dispatch the chick.. I raised a few splayed legged chickens.. they adapt, but tend to be runty.. I do not enjoy watching them hobble about on one leg.. and they are always being picked on by all the other birds..

.....jiminwisc........

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Is it just one leg that goes out to the side ?

7. Franecca

Jun 22, 2008
    Irvine, KY
    Yes just the one leg goes out.

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Does the leg bend at the joint or stay straight ?? I had a chick like this once I think.

I would also splint it now, the sooner the better !!

Sorry to be a pain, could you get a pic of the chick straight on ??

9. Franecca

Jun 22, 2008
    Irvine, KY
    Can't get a pic straight on, but it is only the one leg on each chick. As far as the joint question, it looks the same as the "normal" chicks, all except for sticking out to the side, as seen in the first pic.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I put a band aid around their legs for three days (at first it's very hard for them to walk and you feel VERY sorry for them but it has to be done). After three days I took it off and even though it didn't look PERFECT it got better on it's own. I just could not keep it on any longer. Some people say it could take 3 days to a week to fix it. Be sure to cut the band aid in half lengthwise or it will be WAY to thick to fit over their tiny legs. I found that the farther up the better as they can walk a little easier that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by