Splayed legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ScottyGill, Jul 21, 2019.

1. This is my first ever hatch, of mixed breed eggs, one arrived day 20 and 2 day 21 and they were up and bouncing about really quickly, knocking all the eggs over so took them into the brooder, and they are wonderful. The 4th had just hatched when we got home day 22 and a teeny weeny one, who's feet look too big. Last night when I came home it's still waddling about on his butt and we had a new one hatched. Today the new one was clearly spraddle legged. The other little one had not improved and just went round on its bum, we let it go, gently as per humane society suggestions. Hard decision but it didn't thrive and also had sex linked roo markings which mad decision easier, we definitely have already one roo. It didn't suffer. I did! So little blondie has a splint made from bandaid. I went looking for elastic bands and a straw but couldn't find any to buy, small town, Sunday evening. She's back in freshly sterilised incubator. I don't understand why in exact same conditions first 3 fine and thriving and last two got such problems. I'm truly hoping she's sorted. We popped her in a box under the brooder panel while we cleaned the incubator from 5 hatchings. The others tried to get in with her and she fought them all in off. She's strong. But my question is she's 3 days behind others who look huge now. Should another couple of days in incunpbator with splints be enough. Is there anything else I can do, she keeps trying to move around. Very worried.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. Dec17

Dec17 In the Brooder

May 27, 2019
    Tbh for now make sure you sort her spraggled legs early and apart from that she should be fine I had exactly the same problem with my Dutch bantams one came out tiny and the rest were perfect which all hatch a day before the small one but sorted it’s legs and a big but of TLC because I had to hand feed mine for the first three days I take it yours is eating and drinking and then it was back with the others in no time and it’s perfectly healthy now

3. Dec17

Dec17 In the Brooder

May 27, 2019
    AED96C00-BB78-4FBE-80B3-3FDF17384B80.jpeg D54AA1A2-E288-4006-937A-059E3B41B6FD.jpeg B51C0901-1ECF-4175-A356-2DFE2EAD95B8.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Dec17

Dec17 In the Brooder

May 27, 2019
    The top one was poorly one middle healthy siblings and last one is it (the white one) with one of its siblings so as you can see has caught up fine

5. No it's still drying in the incubator. They can stay there for 3 days right.

6. The one we let go wasn't just small, it seemed to have a neurological issue. My question was about safety of the other one being so little. And the bigger earlier ones being so super interested. Once she's fully dry I hope to put her in and hand feed if needed. How often should I offer her water

7. Dec17

Dec17 In the Brooder

May 27, 2019
    I usually get mine out the bator with a few hours of been hatched regardless of conditions but tbh I didn’t think it was good to leave them in there but I’m not sure and I offered mine water as often as possible but I was still at work so when I was home every hour or so and then at good drink before I went and I mixed food and water up to make sure it was still getting nutrients but they can live really happily without eating or drinking anything for 72 hours after hatching anyway because they absorb there yolks before they hatch

8. Will put her in brooder with others. She’s sleeping now as we had a bit of a tussle doing this. I need some more sleep too.

Attached Files:

FowlWitch likes this.
  9. This chick has the same issues as the other one. It cannot walk at all, is in distress but when I put it in the brooder to be with the others just like the other one they keep kicking it out and pecking it so we’ve decided we can’t let that one suffer either. It’s been a very tough morning.

10. Dec17

Dec17 In the Brooder

May 27, 2019
    I take it you’ve killed it then?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: