Splayed legs?

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
One of my new chicks doesn't stand up. This is the one that yesterday I mentioned seemed lethargic...didn't open eyes much, looked like she was sleeping most of the time. All the other chicks that came with her were and continue to be fine.
Today she seems more alert, eyes open more, drinks water well. Can't get her to eat though, and she crawls on her 'knees' and chest, balancing with her wings.
She's happy to sit in my hand and watch me type on the keyboard (typing one handed takes soooo long!!
roll.png
) I peep and cluck to her, and she'll peep back. She takes short naps in my hand too.
HPIM0895.jpg

HPIM0902.jpg

When she's with her sisters, they don't bother her and she seems to manage well enough to get to the water for a drink. Unfortunately she just hangs out there and I'll find her with a wing in the water and, most often with a wet chin an chest, like you see in the pics.
HPIM0896.jpg

HPIM0897.jpg

So, do you think its splayed legs? She doesn't seem to have any foot stength though, so I'm not sure bandaid-ing the legs might help.
As I keep checking her, her toes on her left foot will curl and uncurl, but kind of weak. Her right foot toes, nothing at all, rubbery. It's the leg that seems just a bit more torqued. Could something be dislocated? Poor little Gumby.
What about food?
The guy at So.Sts. said not to dropper feed. Should I try to put some food in the water and see if she can get any nutients that way?

what you can do immediately is to give three drops of POLYVISOL into beak... sometimes it si due to vitamin deficiencies...you can also prick open a human vitE tab and mix through the chick starter... see if these two things do not help... they often do.

Quote:
Thank you so much.
i'm going now to get some, have to work until 8:30pm tonight so I'll give it to her then.
keljonma, thank you, I will do the boiled egg thing, and put her in the box she came in to isolate her, even though the other chicks weren't bothering her.
I bandaid-ed the legs in hopes it is only splayed leg.
For now she's sleeping with her but up in the air...
roll.png

She's pretty much the same. I'm not sure the bandaid hobble is helping much, if anything it is making it harder for her to maneuver. I find her sleeping in the same place I left her, so I pick her up each time, dip her beak in the now vitaminized/electroltytized water to make sure she stays hydrated, try to interest her in food, but no luck.
She wants to sleep more than her sisters. I just don't know. She's sleeping again in my hand, every once in a while she moves her legs as if shes walking in her little peep dreams.
It just is breaking my heart...
sad.png

Her little toes/feet don't seem to move at all, as if there is no muscle there. Strong little thighs and from knee to ankle and from ankle to top of foot. But no strength at all in toes. Yet, if I gently pinch the toes, she pulls back on her leg, so it's not as if they're paralized.
She's already smaller than her sisters so I suppose I have to expect the worst.
I just don't know what to do...my eyes are leaking over a baby chick!!
roll.png

She is drinking water, but I do have to dip her beak several times every hour or so.
Don't have a clue how to force feed her. She won't open her beak for anything.

She's on her side now.
Do I wait for the inevitable, keep dipping her beak in water to keep hydrated,
or should I end her suffering? ... and how is fastest and painless way?

Back
Top Bottom