splayed legs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by marilyn1, Jan 27, 2014.

1. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Read several threads. Did the bandaid brace. Hatched after all others found half open and cold others pecked it. Helped out of shell, put in heated small container alone. Overnight was strong in morning. Replaced brace 4 times is 11 days old. How long to leave brace on. One leg is fine other still out to side. Still alone in small heated container. Will other leg pull in. Your thoughts please

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can try some therapy on him for another week. Put him in a small drinking glass or large shot glass without the leg braces on. Let him stand there for about 10 mins, several times a day. This can strengthen the legs over time. However 11 days is a long time for him to not be responding.

Maybe add some Vitamin B and E to his water. The B and E vitamins help to strengthen muscles tissues. If he doesn't begin to stand on his own soon, you may have to put him down. So sorry.

3. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    X2 on the shot glass. I had one with splay legs and when I put him into the brooder, I placed him in a shot glass for about 15 or 20 minutes. I was about to mark his feathers with a Sharpie and he escaped into the brooder. An hour or so later, I couldn't tell which chick had the splay legs. Being that yours is 11 days old, you may have to increase the amount of time it's kept in the shot glass; just don't forget it's in there.
    Also, this is just my opinion, and others here may not agree, but I will never assist a chick out of the shell. If a chick is too weak to start it's life, there will be other things they lag behind in. I do have one small hen that was a very late hatch, and she only lays every other day. Had she be a he, I would have culled him the first time he crowed. The only reason I haven't culled her is she continues to lay eggs, even though it's every other day.
    James

4. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Thanks all, one leg did respond the other not yet. I'll try, Is this painful to it. It's eating and drinking fine. Seems strong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by