1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splayed legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jrfadfarm, Feb 27, 2015.

1. jrfadfarm

jrfadfarm Out Of The Brooder

hello - we just acquired 4 chicks, hatched from my daughters kindergarten class, this morning. We have successfully hatched 2 of our own, so we are going to add them to our group. They arent good egg layers, so im told. BUT, one or more may have splayed legs.

question - when do you diagnose and try to fix it? These are my first ever chicks, so im in need of a timeline, then instructions...

THANK YOU!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. jrfadfarm

UPDATE - two have died...and one is a going. the one i am concerned about is sticking with it. still alive.

3. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Can you post pics? Splayed legs should be treated immediately. Are they eating and drinking?

4. jrfadfarm

No, and they all have died. man, sorry i posted...As i was trying to do a mend on the legs, it just layed its head back and pretty much gave up. went to the store, came back and both remaining died. it comes with chicks tho, luckily, my two girls that are watching our chicks intently were not fazed. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by