Splayed / Spaddled Legs - Our Attempt At Therapy

DrumStick

Songster
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
Our first hatch has been eventful. One assisted hatch who survived nicely
smile.png
and today
we spotted a little chirpy Buff with Splayed legs.

Here is what we did:

The Doctor
PA220161.jpg

With her assistant
PA220162.jpg

The Patient
PA220164.jpg

PA220165.jpg

The Procedure
PA220167.jpg

PA220169.jpg

PA220172.jpg

PA220173.jpg

PA220175.jpg

PA220176.jpg

PA220180.jpg

PA220181.jpg

PA220178.jpg

Standing Tall
PA220183.jpg

PA220185.jpg

PA220182.jpg

The patient is resting quietly.

And to think I wanted to eat it.
roll.png

Don, Dawn, & Travis

barnie.gif
The previous post is mine. Drumstick keeps sneaking
on my laptop when I'm not looking and logging me out and him in.
I gotta get his Imac back online!!!

give your little chickie three drops of POLYVISOL three drops in beak once a day for a week to deal with any deficiency issues. Nice photos!!!

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll order some tommorrow. I've been hand feeding
her to try and keep her strong and hydrated. I was thinking about giving her
some yogurt as a boost also. The others are growing like crazy and they are only
2 to 4 days old.

Hopefully the pics will help others with this issue. That's why I put them up.

This is really a wierd dynamic. Yesterday I was culling. Today I'm hand feeding.
Feels very strange.

Don

Last edited:
If you have more birds with this problem give your breeders a good vitamin supplement and control the temps and humidity etc in your incubator

Just another wee bit of experience: after doing the hobbles thing to a guinea chick last month, and he wasn't doing too well, we lined the bottom of the brooder with a piece of window screen, and it was just the traction Tiny Tim needed to get his feet going. Before we hobbled him, he was "swimming" all over the brooder. Now he is running and flying with his buds. Love the pictures. Good job!

you can take some strong tape (or cudt tape) and cut two squares...place her foot on topof the sticy side and press firmly with the toes in the proper position and then the second tape on top of that pressing inbetween the toes firmly and press. Then trim around the shape of the foot .

To add to Diana's post....
I usually use stiff cardboard or an old credit card. I trace around the foot and cut it out. (you don't need to go between the toes, just like a sole of a shoe). Then after it is the right size, I tape it on with medical paper tape.
I am always afraid of the scissors slipping and cutting off a toe.

Back
Top Bottom