Splenda Jams/Preserves

I've made them for customer requests - and gotten good feedback and repeat buyers. I use ....

1 pkg Ball No Sugar pectin
4 cups prepared fruit or fruit juice
1 cup apple juice
1 1/2 cups Splenda (or similar sweetner)

The ratios I gave for the fruit, apple juice and pectin are standard on the package directions. However, it gives a range for the amount of suggested sweetner. I've found the 1 1/2 cups sweetner works well for most fruits.

There are recipes on the the low-sugar pectin boxes. But the raspberries and peaches I've canned this summer didn't need any splenda. That would have ruined it.

Question for Kim I have lots of black berries. Would that receipe work for them? Iam new at this so forgive stupid questions!lol. How would you get the juice form the berries,cook it out,or mash the berries? would I have to add water to either way? Thanks for any help.

Quote:
Here is a link to the Splenda website that talks about using Splenda in the canning process. Hope it helps you need to "click" on the button for canning to see what they say.

Sandee

http://www.splenda.com/cooking-baking/granulated

Okla, I just crush the fresh fruit for any kind of berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc) and measure the 4 cups. No cooking and no water needed. Then add the 1 cup apple juice - you can use commercial bottled apple juice.

The same directions are in the package with the Ball No Sugar pectin. Then add the Splenda or other sweetner - I use 1 1/2 cups.

Thanks for the link, Sandee - I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Quote:
Here is a link to the Splenda website that talks about using Splenda in the canning process. Hope it helps you need to "click" on the button for canning to see what they say.

Sandee

http://www.splenda.com/cooking-baking/granulated

Okla, I just crush the fresh fruit for any kind of berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc) and measure the 4 cups. No cooking and no water needed. Then add the 1 cup apple juice - you can use commercial bottled apple juice.

The same directions are in the package with the Ball No Sugar pectin. Then add the Splenda or other sweetner - I use 1 1/2 cups.

Glad we are talking about this since when my husband was selling yesterday at the farmer's market he promised someone we would make them some sugar free Blackberry jelly. I thought based on what the package said that I could make my regular powered pectin recipe with Splenda instead of sugar. The package says to use Splenda cup for cup the way you do sugar. Do you think it would work or do you have to use the no sugar pectin.

Sandee

Quote:

Glad we are talking about this since when my husband was selling yesterday at the farmer's market he promised someone we would make them some sugar free Blackberry jelly. I thought based on what the package said that I could make my regular powered pectin recipe with Splenda instead of sugar. The package says to use Splenda cup for cup the way you do sugar. Do you think it would work or do you have to use the no sugar pectin.

Sandee

Hmmmm, I'm not sure. I've never used anything except the No Sugar pectin for such recipes. Maybe the brand of pectin you're using is different and will allow you to substitute the Splenda? What brand is it? If their directions say you can substitute, surely it'll work.

Back
Top Bottom