splint fracture!

farrier!

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Southern Illinois
he.gif

My good gelding I was to ride on 50 mile endurance rides starting next month has a fractured splint bone on the outside of his right hind.

If.....big if!....he does not get a bone infection and it heals I might be able to ride him in about 60 days.

I have waited 7 years to ride endurance again.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Vet and I am really worried about a bone infection.....does not look good right now......

There is very little other then skin over the bones and tendons. He probable has a very deep bone bruise and he does have a slight cut over the break too. Sometimes even without a break in the skin some of the bone can die and become necrotic.
We have been hosing it out daily, this happened Saturday evening, and he was so lame on it I decided to have the vet look at it today.

hugs.gif
Bless your heart! I am so sorry about your mount! I have had horses my entire life so I know how serious this could possibly be.
fl.gif
I wish you much luck and hope with all my heart the gelding heals well and quickly.

So sorry to hear that! I hope he heals fast.
If the vets expects a problem with infection isn't there anything they can give him (antibiotics) to prevent it from happening?
A good friend of my has nursed some really awful looking leg injuries in horses and has had good sucess. I wish the same for you.

Back
Top Bottom