1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splint??

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Morri, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    How can you make a splint to correct my peachicks bend out leg?? Any successful splint ideas?? Thanks people!!

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Depends but I've heard of people using band-aids and tooth picks...so mabe some chopsticks and sports tape?
    Just an idea...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  3. Morri

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks daisygirl ill look into it, its worth a shot!! [​IMG] will try it. Feel free ANYONE to post any ideas on splints?!?!

4. Omani

Omani Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Machias,NY
    Sports tape is too sticky. Use vet wrap with sport tape on top. I buy the stuff for horses and cut the roll in half vertically to make two rolls. (before I unroll it)

Whats wrong with his/her leg?

5. Morri

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks for that. Um we are not sure it could be a tendon displacement (but he can walk and the tendon feels ok), it could be a splayed leg (bu the leg only bends outwards from the knee down), or could be from too much protein. So yer not sure, thanks for replyng though!! [​IMG]

6. Omani

Omani Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Machias,NY
    I don't know if this will work, but..
    When my finches have splay leg, we don't use a splint. We use a sling. You pull the leg into it's normal folded position. Go around it a couple of times with vet wrap.Then wrap it against the body with gauze wrap,vet wrap and tape. The gauze is so the other stuff doesn't stick. You could use an old shirt. The bird has to be confined for upwards of three weeks. Depends how bad it is, if it's splay leg.
    Maybe there's an avian vet near you that wouldn't mind answering some questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by